International Students
Future students

International students

Student Study Permit

Visa and Residence Permit Procedures for International Students

International students wishing to register in a program are responsible for obtaining the necessary documents required for entry into Turkey. 

Following the completion of the registration by paying at least the first term and the registration fee, we provide the students with an Acceptance Letter. They must apply for a visa when they are in their home country and they will come to Turkey with that letter according to the Turkish Government's visa rules. Please follow the latest updates about that. Students will apply for the Residence permit when they arrive in Turkey with the Student Letter that they will take from us.

Depending on the nationality and bilateral agreements between Turkey and other countries, there is more than one visa or entry option available for international students. There are regular consular visas, e-visas, passport, national ID, airport visa entries. Once you have an idea of how you will enter Turkey and what is required for you based on your country of origin, you will be able to apply for the appropriate visa.

Please check your country’s eligibility and/or apply by clicking on .If you are exempt from a tourist visa for Turkey, you need not apply for a student visa at the Turkish Consulate. You will simply enter the country with a passport valid for the complete length of stay plus 90 days depending on the country.

We refer you to the official Republic of Turkey webpage on which you may scroll down to country-specific information for further details:

1. Before coming to Turkey (obtaining a visa)
If the student must apply for a student visa at the Turkish consulate or embassy in their home country, the following documents are required for the visa application:

a) Letter of acceptance from the institute of higher education to which the student has applied, or an equivalent document.
b) Valid, long-term passport
c) Documentation of sufficient financial means for the period of studies in Turkey (bank statement, documentation of scholarship, etc.)
d) Payment for visa fees; this fee differs for each country.
e) The consulate or embassy may also require additional documentation.

2. After arrival in Turkey (obtaining a residence permit)
International students need to register with the local authorities (Göç İdaresi) and obtain a Residence Permit (İkamet Belgesi) within a month after their arrival. In order to apply, students should get an online appointment from the Directorate General of Migration Management of Turkey. If the student's visa has expired, the student cannot leave Turkey even if they have a residence permit appointment. The webpage for appointments is as follows:

Students need to get the following items ready prior to the appointment date.

a) Passport, the original, and a copy (a copy of the data page, copy of the page which bears the stamp of the date of entrance into Turkey, and if you had a visa, copy of the page bearing the visa for Turkey will be needed. If you came to Turkey with an e-visa, then you will need to submit a copy of your e-visa along with your application). Please note that, in order to get a residence permit, you need to have a passport valid for at least the next six months.
b) A valid health insurance policy (you may apply for one in the international office if you would like to get private health insurance)
c) Student Certificate (Öğrenci Belgesi) issued by the Registrar’s office (the student certificate should not be older than 10 days so that you need to get a current student certificate before your appointment)
d) Statement of income (this is simply a notification regarding sufficient and sustainable resources for the duration of your stay. You may obtain the notification form from the international office. Migration Management may ask for supportive documents if they feel the need later on)
e) Copy of the previous residence permit (if there is any)
f) If the name, middle name, and surname in student’s passport is stated all together in one section (not separated) it is required to obtain a name equivalency certificate from the consulate or embassy of the home country (it is important if your surname is not separately mentioned. If it is the case, please contact your home country’s embassy or consulate. The same applies to the students with an abbreviation in their names. They will need to obtain a name equivalence certificate stating their full name without abbreviations).
g) Receipt of the residence permit fee (the fee can be paid to the tax offices in Fatih or Eminönü or in Ziraat Bank Branches)
h) Copy of your online registration (appointment papers)

3. After obtaining a residence permit (notification of changes in status)
Students who have been issued a student residence permit must then obtain a Foreign National Identity Number, which can be acquired from the website of the General Registry Directorate:
b) Foreign students who wish to renew their residence permits must visit to obtain an appointment, starting 2 months before the residence permit expiration date.
c) Students must notify the Foreign National Division of the Directorate of Police within 15 days in the case of the following: completion of studies, expulsion from the institution of higher education, termination of studies, or discontinuation of studies due to absenteeism. Students are also required to notify the Foreign National Division of the Directorate of Police within 48 hours of a change in residence address.
d) If a student’s residence permit is lost or damaged, the student must apply immediately to the Foreign National Division of the Directorate of Police for replacement.

We have provided the above for your information. However, it is subject to change. Current information regarding residence permit can be found at the .